Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Summer Days Ending and Heading Back to Germany

Above, me in the cockpit of a West Jet aircraft this summer.

I had planned to have a new post up about Bridgetown, but the days have been busy and have disappeared quickly.  I shall be writing about it from Germany on my return.  After that, it will be back to writing about the wine and food and fests: the time of year for new wine and onion tarts, October Fest and beer. 

Below, my sister Paula on the left, Carol with her grandson and I on the right at Paula's beside their pool in July
Below, me, Carol, Jean and Laurie beside our pool enjoying a little wine


The summer has for the most part been good weather-wise with the last weeks of August and most of September being sunny and warm.  We have had family get-togethers here, at my sister Paula and Laurie's just up the road beside their pool and at my sister Carol's place in Hubbards.

Hans and I with our German friend, Rosi, at The End of the Line Pub in Bridgetown; underneath, a bowl of the pub's excellent seafood chowder

Below, Laurie reading a card on his 75th birthday with his granddaughter looking on


Laurie's birthday cake


Carol and I at The Rope Loft in Chester.  Another bowl of delicious seafood chowder, but a different style, shown underneath


I enjoyed lunch and supper with friends at the pubs in the area including a special lunch with my long-time friend at a restaurant in Kingston, NS.


Below, my friend Peggy and I at the Aurora Inn in Kingston in early September

Peggy and I both chose the deep-fried fresh fish.  It was excellent.


I hosted a book club meeting, attended my sister Paula's writers' group get-together, joined friends at the Lakes for TGIF (Thank God It's Friday) beside the Annapolis River and visited good friends, the Nashes, in Chester one afternoon with my friend Jeanne playing the accordion and singing.

Jean on the accordion at her home in Chester

We flew to Ottawa for a wonderful visit with Heiko and his family in July.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to Prince Edward Island to visit with other family relatives and friends, so I shall have to wait another year. 

Along with Hans, we hosted Paula and Laurie at dinner a few times as they did for us as well.  I shall be having dinner there again tonight, with our friend Jean Robertson joining us. 

Below, a Chinese dinner I served Paula and Laurie this summer.  It included chicken chow mein, sweet and sour pork, Chinese steak strips and a vegetable dish.
One of the fun things was talking to my sister Anne yesterday on Skype, she in Toronto and I here in Bridgetown.  So now I would like to have Skype in Germany, as it is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends. 

All good things come to an end.  Summer is almost over.  The memories, however, will remain of the good times, good friends and good food.  One of those memories will be of the four deer that wandered on our property in front of our house, a doe with three fawns, three of the group shown below.

I hope you've all had a great summer and that autumn will be lovely, a special time of the year in eastern Canada.




No comments:

Post a Comment